Virtual Mentor. December 1999, Volume 1, Number 4.
Did You Know?
Little-known medical trivia.
- December 24 is the birthday of:
Michel de Nostradamus, physician and prolific prophet of 20th-century events.
- People [interns] will work no more than 6 hours at a time, and this will be in staggered shifts. A whole range of goods and services [phlebotomy and intravenous teams] will be available during the nighttime hours.
David Goodman Croly (1888)
- By the year 2531, the family will be completely replaced by test-tube conception.
Aldous Huxley (1931)
- There will be peace, union and change.
- December 25 is the birthday of:
Clara Barton, Civil War nurse and founder of the American Red Cross.
- Dr. Bernadine P. Healy, past director of the National Institutes of Health, is the first physician to head the American Red Cross.
- More than 4 million Americans donate nearly 6 million units of blood each year. Despite that, regular blood supply shortages occur especially during the holiday season.
- People in good health who weigh at least 110 pounds can donate a unit of blood as often as 8 weeks. To find out where you can donate blood, call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE.
The viewpoints expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the AMA.
© 1999 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.