Virtual Mentor. January 2003, Volume 5, Number 1.
Suggested Reading and Resources
Resources on End-of-Life Care: Do No Harm
- Opinion 2.03 Allocation of Limited Medical Resources. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:9-13.
- Opinion 2.035 Futile Care. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:13-15.
- Opinion 2.037 Medical Futility in End-of-Life Care. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:15-17.
- Opinion 2.20 Withholding or Withdrawing Life-Sustaining Medical Treatment. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:82-101.
- Opinion 2.21 Euthanasia. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:101-104.
- Opinion 2.211 Physician-Assisted Suicide. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:104-112.
- Opinion 2.215 Treatment Decisions for Seriously Ill Newborns. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:112-113.
- Opinion 2.22 Do-Not-Resuscitate Orders. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:113-117.
- Opinion 2.225 Optimal Use of Orders - Not - To - Intervene and Advance Directives. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:117-118.
Other Reading and Resources
- Ankrom M, Zelesnick L, Barofsky I, Georas S, Finucane TE, Greenough WB, III. Elective discontinuation of life-sustaining mechanical ventilation on a chronic ventilator unit. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001;49:1549-1554.
- Antman EM, Cohen M, Bernink PJ, et al. The TIMI risk score for unstable angina/non-ST elevation MI: a method for prognostication and therapeutic decision making. JAMA. 2000;284:835-842.
- Blackhall LJ. Must we always use CPR? N Engl J Med. 1987;317:1281-1283.
- Borasio GD, Voltz R. Discontinuation of mechanical ventilation in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Neurol. 1998;245:717-722.
- Brody H, Campbell ML, Faber-Langendoen K, Ogle KS. Withdrawing intensive life-sustaining treatment -- recommendations for compassionate clinical management. N Engl J Med. 1997;336:652-657.
- Burns JP, Mitchell C, Outwater KM, Geller M, Griffith JL, Todres ID et al. End-of-life care in the pediatric intensive care unit after the forgoing of life-sustaining treatment. Crit Care Med. 2000;28:3060-3066.
- Campbell ML, Bizek KS, Thill M. Patient responses during rapid terminal weaning from mechanical ventilation: a prospective study. Crit Care Med. 1999;27:73-77.
- Campbell ML. Terminal weaning: it's not simply "pulling the plug." Nursing. 1994;24:34-39.
- Cancer Pain Relief and Palliative Care. Technical Report Series 804. Geneva: Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1990.
- Christakis NA, Asch DA. Biases in how physicians choose to withdraw life support.The Lancet. 1993;342:642-646.
- Christakis NA. Death Foretold: Prophecy and Prognosis in Medical Care. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1999.
- Christakis, NA, Lamont, EB. Extent and determinants of error in doctors' prognoses in terminally ill patients: prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2000;320:471.
- Daly BJ, Thomas D, Dyer MA. Procedures used in withdrawal of mechanical ventilation. Am J Crit Care. 1996;5:331-338.
- Danis M, Southerland LI, Garrett JM, et al. A prospective study of advance directives for life-sustaining care. N Engl J Med. 1991;324:882-888.
- De Smet P. Herbal remedies. New Engl J Med. 2002;347:2046-2056.
- Detsky AS, Stricker SC, Mulley AG, Thibault GE. Prognosis, survival, and the expenditure of hospital resources for patients in an intensive-care ;unit. N Eng J Med. 1981;305:667-672.
- Dr. Kevorkian's conviction upheld. American Medical News. Oct 21, 2002. Available at: http://www.amednews.com/2002/prbf1021. Accessed Jan 6, 2003.
- Drought TS, Koenig BA. 'Choice' in end-of-life decision making: researching fact or fiction? The Gerontologist. 2002;42:114-128.
- Eisenburg DM, Davis RB, Ettner SL. Trends in alternative medicine use in the United States, 1990-1997. JAMA. 1998;280:1569-1575.
- Emanuel LL, von Gunten CF, Ferris ED, eds. The Education for Physicians on End-of-Life Care (EPEC) Curriculum. Chicago, IL: The EPEC Project, 1999. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Module 2: 1-2.
- Faber-Langendoen K, Lanken PN. Dying patients in the intensive care unit: forgoing treatment, maintaining care. Ann Intern Med. 2000;133:886-893.
- Faber-Langendoen K. The clinical management of dying patients receiving mechanical ventilation. A survey of physician practice. Chest. 1994;106:880-888.
- Farber NJ, Urban SY, Collier VU, et al. The good news about giving bad news to patients. J Gen Intern Med. 2002;17: 914-919.
- Field MJ, Cassel CK, eds. Approaching Death: Improving Care at the End of Life. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1997:31-32.
- Fox E, Landrum-McNiff K, Zhing Z, et al. Evaluation of prognostic criteria for determining hospice eligibility in patient with advanced lung, heart or liver disease. JAMA. 1999;282:1638-1645.
- Gianakos D. Terminal weaning. Chest. 1995;108:1405-1406.
- Gilligan T, Raffin TA. Rapid withdrawal of support. Chest. 1995;108:1407-1408.
- Gilligan T, Raffin TA. Withdrawing life support: extubation and prolonged terminal weans are inappropriate. Crit Care Med. 1996;24:352-353.
- Hall RI, Rocker GM. End-of-life care in the ICU: treatments provided when life support was or was not withdrawn. Chest. 2000;118:1424-1430.
- Hanson LC, Tulsky JA, Danis M. Can clinical interventions change care at the end of life? Ann Intern Med. 1997;126:381-388.
- Hardaway RM, Peterson MK, Mann C. The right to die and the Ninth Amendment: compassion and dying after Glucksberg and Vacco. Geo Mason L Rev. 1999;313:342.
- Harlow NC, Killip T. Beyond do-not-resuscitate orders: A house staff mentoring credentialing project on advanced directives. Arch Intern Med. 1997;157:135.
- Junkerman C, Schiedermayer D. Practical Ethics for Students, Interns and Residents. 2nd ed. Frederick, Maryland: University Publishing Group. 1998.
- Kevorkian gets 10 to 25 years in prison. CNN.com. April 13, 1999. Available at : http://www.cnn.com/US/9904/13/kevorkian.03/index.html. Accessed Jan 6, 2003.
- Kliever LD, ed. Dax's Case. Dallas, TX: Southern Methodist University Press; 1989.
- Knaus WA, Draper EA, Wagner DP, at al. APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system. Crit Care Med. 1985:13:818-829.
- Knaus WA, Wagner DP, Lynn J. Short-term mortality predictions for critically ill hospitalized adults: Science and Ethics. Science. 1991;245:389-394.
- Larson DG, Tobin DR. End-of-life conversations. JAMA. 2000;284:1573-1578.
- Layson RT, McConnell T. Must consent always be obtained for a do not resuscitate order? Arch Intern Med.1996;156:2617-2620.
- Mayer SA, Kossoff SB. Withdrawal of life support in the neurological intensive care unit. Neurology. 1999;52:1602-1609.
- Morita T, Tsunoda J, Inoue S, Chihara S. Improved accuracy of physicians' survival prediction for terminally ill cancer patients using the Palliative Prognostic Index. Palliat Med. 2001;15:419-424.
- Orentlicher D. The illusion of patient choice in end-of-life decisions. JAMA. 1992;267:2101-2104.
- Orr R, Bishop L. Why psychiatrists should not participate in euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide, Am J Forensic Psychiatry. 1998;19:35-36.
- Parkes CM. Accuracy of predictions of survival in later stages of cancer. BMJ. 1972;2:29-31.
- President's Commission for theStudy of Ethical Problems in Medicine and Biomedical and Behavioral Research. Deciding to Forgo Life-Sustaining Treatment. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 1983.
- Quill TE. Initiating end-of-life discussions with seriously ill patients: addressing the "elephant in the room." JAMA. 2000;284:2502-2507.
- Quill TE. The rule of double effect- a critique of its role in end-of-life decision making. N Engl J Med. 1997;337:1778-1781.
- Rutecki GW, Cugino A, Jurjoura D, Kilner JF, and Whittier FC. Nephrologists' subjective attitudes towards end-of-life issues and the conduct of terminal care. Clinical Nephrology. 1997;48:173-180.
- Scholz J, Steinfath M, Schulz M. Clinical pharmacokinetics of alfentanil, fentanyl and sufentanil. An update. Clin Pharmacokinet. 1996;31:275-292.
- Seneff M, Knaus WA. Predicting patient outcome from intensive care: a guide to APACHE, MPM, SAPS, PRISM, and other prognostic scoring systems. J Intensive Care Med. 1990;5:33-52.
- Smedira NG, Evans BH, Grais LS, et al. Witholding and withdrawal of life support from the critically ill. N Engl J Med. 1990;329:309-315.
- Swig L, Cooke M, Osmond D, et al. Physician responses to a hospital policy allowing them to not offer cardiopulmonary resuscitation. JAGS. 1996; 44:1215-1219.
- The Oregon Death With Dignity Act: a guidebook for health care providers. Available at: http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/pas/ors.shtml/shtml. Accessed December 13, 2002.
- Tomlinson T, Brody H. Futility and the ethics of resuscitation. JAMA. 1990;264:1276-1280.
- Tulsky JA, Chesney MA, Lo B. How do medical residents discuss resuscitation with patients? JGIM.1995;10:436-442.
- Tulsky JA, Chesney, MA, Lo B. See one, do one, teach one? House staff experience discussing do not resuscitate orders. Arch Intern Med. 1996;156:1285-1289.
- Tulsky JA, Fischer GS, Rose M, Arnold RM. Opening the black box: how do physicians communicate about advance directives? Ann Intern Med. 1998;129:441-449.
- Upton RN, Semple TJ, Macintyre PE. Pharmacokinetic optimisation of opioid treatment in acute pain therapy. Clin Pharmacokinet. 1997;33:225-244.
- Vigano A, Bruera E, Jhangri GS, Newman SC, et al. Clinical survival predictors in patients with advanced cancer. Arch Intern Med. 2000;160:861-868.
- Wachter EM, Luce JM, Hearst N, Lo B. Decisions about resuscitation: inequities among patients with different diseases but similar prognoses. Ann Intern Med. 1989;111:525-532.
- Wasson JH, Sox HC, Neff RK, Goldman L. Clinical prediction rules: applications and methodologic standards. N Engl J Med. 1985;313:793-799.
- Weatherill GG. Pharmacologic symptom control during the withdrawal of life support: lessons in palliative care. AACN Clin Issues. 1995;6:344-351.
- Weeks JC, Cook F, O'Day SJ, et al. Relationship between cancer patients' predictions of prognosis and their treatment preferences. JAMA. 1998;279:1709-1714.
- Willens JS, Myslinski NR. Pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, and clinical uses of fentanyl, sufentanil, and alfentanil [published erratum appears in Heart Lung. 1993;22:307]. Heart Lung. 1993;22:239-251.
- Williams ALV, Hoofnagle JH. Ratio of serum aspartate to alanine aminotransferase in chronic hepatitis. Relationship to cirrhosis. Gastroenterology. 1988:95:734-739.
- Wilson WC, Smedira NG, Fink C, McDowell JA, Luce JM. Ordering and administration of sedatives and analgesics during the withholding and withdrawal of life support from critically ill patients [see comments]. JAMA. 1992;267:949-953.
The viewpoints expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the AMA.
© 2003 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.