Virtual Mentor. February 2003, Volume 5, Number 2.
Suggested Reading and Resources
Resources on Emergency Medicine
Suggested reading and resources.
- Bernat JL. Ethical and legal aspects of the emergency management of brain death and organ retrieval. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. 1987;5:661-676.
- Chen FM, Hickner J, Fink KS, et al. On the front lines: family physicians' prepardness for bioterrorism. J Fam Pract. 2002;51:745-750.
- Cole TB. What can we do about violence? JAMA. 1999;282:481-483.
- Cummings P, Grossman DC, Rivara FP, et al. State gun storage laws and childhood mortality due to firearms. JAMA. 1997;278:1084-1086.
- Dame LA. The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act: the anomalous right to health care. Health Matrix. 1998:3.
- Fujimura MK. Private matters: lights! camera! trauma! Confidentiality and new media. In Confidence. 2000;8:4-5.
- Hargarten SW. Docs and cops: a collaborating or colliding partnership? Ann Emer Med. 2001;38:438-440.
- Jones J, Terndrup TE, Franz DR, Eitzen EM. Future challeneges in preparing for and responding to bioterrorism events. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. 2002;20:501-524.
- Mackey DS. The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act: an act undergoing judicial development. U Ark Little Rock LJ. 1997;19:465.
- Neff JM, Lane JM, Fulginiti VA, Henderson DA. Contact vaccinia: transmission of vaccinia from smallpox vaccination. JAMA. 2002;288:1901-1905.
- Shepherd JP. Emergency medicine and police collaboration to prevent community violence. Ann Emer Med. 2001;38:430-437.
- Wendler D, Dickert N. The consent process for cadaveric organ procurement: how does it work? can it be improved? JAMA.
Web Site Sources
- American College of Emergency Physicians. Code of ethics for emergency physicians. June 1997. http://www.acep.org/practres.aspx?id=29144. Accessed January 22, 2003.
- American College of Emergency Physicians. Costs of emergency care. Available at: http://www.acep.org/1,2893,0.html.
- American College of Emergency Physicians. On-call responsibilities for hospitals and physicians. Available at http://www.acep.org/1,4737,0.html.
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees. AFSCME urges Bush to delay implementation of smallpox vaccination. January 16, 2003.
- American Hospital Association. Statement of the American Hospital Association before the Institute of Medicine Committee on Smallpox Vaccination Program Implementation on hospitals' views on the Federal Smallpox Vaccine Program. December 19, 2002. Available at: http://www.aha.org/aha/testimony/2002/021219-tes-schulman-csvp.html. Accessed January 22, 2003.
- American Medical Association. AMA on government smallpox vaccination plan. December 13, 2002.
- American Medical Association. Health insurance reform. Available at www.ama-assn.org/go/insurance-reform.
- American Public Health Association. APHA policy statement on smallpox vaccination. December 6, 2002.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Smallpox Response Plan and Guidelines (Guides A-F plus Annex files 1-8). September 23, 2002. Available at: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/response-plan/index.asp. Accessed January 22, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC telebriefing transcript-update: smallpox educational activities and West Nile virus. December 19, 2002. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/transcripts/t021219.htm. Accessed January 22, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC telebriefing transcript-CDC smallpox vaccination update. January 17, 2003. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/transcripts/t030117.htm. Accessed January 22, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Evaluating patients for smallpox. Available at: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/diagnosis/pdf/spox-poster-full.pdf. Accessed January 24, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Overview of smallpox and clinical presentations, and medical care of smallpox patients. Available at: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/diagnosis/index.asp. Accessed January 24, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Protecting Americans: smallpox vaccination program. Available at: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/vaccination/vaccination-program-statement.asp. Accessed January 22, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Smallpox fact sheet: reactions after smallpox vaccination. Available at: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/vaccination/reactions-vacc-public.asp. Accessed January 22, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Smallpox vaccine shipment numbers.
- Cover the Uninsured Week. Available at: http://coveringtheuninsured.org/. Accessed January 31, 2003.
- Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA). Available at http://www.uplaw.net/statute.txt.
- Institute of Medicine. Review of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's smallpox vaccination program implementation- letter report # 1. January 17, 2003. Available at: http://www.nap.edu/books/NI000489/html/. Accessed January 22, 2003.
- Maguire P. As the country gears up for smallpox vaccinations, physicians find themselves at the front lines. American College of Physicians- American Society of Internal Medicine. January 3, 2003. Available at: http://www.acponline.org/journals/news/jan03/smallpox.htm. Accessed January 22, 2003.
- Marco CA and Larkin GL, Society of Academic Emergency Medicine. Filming of patients in academic emergency departments.
- Smith WC. EMTALA: what is an "appropriate medical screening exam." EMTALA Newsletter Articles. Emergency Nurses Association. Available at http://www.ena.org/government/emtala/article2.asp.
- WHO fact sheet on smallpox, training materials. Available from: http://www.who.int/csr/en/. Accessed January 28, 2003.
- Baber v Hospital Corp of America, 977 F 2d 872 (4th Cir 1992).
- Burditt v US Dept HHS, 934 F 2d 1362 (5th Cir 1991).
- Congressional Record, 131 Cong Rec S13904 (Oct 23, 1985).
- Delaney v Cade, 986 F 2d 393 (10th Cir 1993).
- Examinations and treatment for emergency medical conditions and women in labor. CFR 42, 1395dd, sec (e)(3)(A).
- Foubister V. Acting in the ER: participants in the documentary series "Trauma: Life in the ER" laud its educational value and positive portrayal of physicians. But critics have patient privacy concerns. AMNews. March 27, 2000. Available at: http://www.amednews.com/2000/prsa0327. Accessed January 15, 2003.
- Jackson v East Bay Hospital, 980 F Supp 1341(1997).
- James v Sunrise Hosp, 86 F 3d 885 (9th Cir 1996).
- Ornstein C, Goldman JJ, Lelyveld N. A slow beginning on smallpox; only four people are inoculated as the national effort gets underway in Connecticut. Unions resist, worried about side effects and compensation. The Los Angeles Times. January, 25 2003: A1.
- Owens v Nacogdoches County Hospital District, 741 F Supp 1269 (1990).
- Roberts v Galen, 525 US 249 (1999).
- Smith v Janes, 895 F Supp 875 (SD Miss 1995).
The viewpoints expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the AMA.
© 2003 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.