Virtual Mentor. May 2003, Volume 5, Number 5.
Suggested Reading and Resources
Resources on Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Al-Fozan H, Dufort J, Kaplow M, Valenti D, Tulandi T. Cost analysis of myomectomy, hysterectomy, and uterine artery embolization. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002;187:1401-1404.
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Ethics in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Washington DC; 2002;61.
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Fact sheet: preimplantation genetic diagnosis. December 1996. Available at: http://www.asrm.org/Patients/FactSheets/genetic_screening.pdf.
Accessed March 5, 2003.
- Andrews LB. The Clone Age: Adventures in the New World of Reproductive Technology. New York: Henry Holt and Co; 1999:162.
- Bailey R. Warning: bioethics may be hazardous to your health. Reason Magazine. August/September 1999. Available at: http://reason.com/9908/fe.rb.warning.shtml.
Accessed April 28, 2003.
- Bewley S. Restricting the freedom of pregnant women. Ethical Issues in Maternal-Fetal Medicine. Dickenson DL, ed. London: Cambridge University Press; 2002:136.
- Buttram VC, Reiter RC. Uterine leiomyomata: etiology, symptomatology, and management. Fertil Steril. 1981;36:433-445.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Advancing HIV prevention: new strategies for a changing epidemic--United States, 2003. Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Report. April 18, 2003. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5215a1.htm.
Accessed April 29, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Case definitions for infectious conditions under public health surveillance. Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Report. May 2, 1997. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/epo/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00047449.htm Accessed
April 25, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Intimate partner abuse facts from the CDC. Available atwww.cdc.gov/nccdphp/drh/wh_violence.htm Accessed April 28, 2003.
- Chenault v Huie, 989 SW 2d 474.
- Deber RB, Kraetschmer N, Irvine J. What role do patients wish to play in treatment decision making. Arch Intern Med. 1996;156:1414-20.
- Ethics Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Preconception gender selection for nonmedical reasons. Fertility and Sterility. 2001;75: 861-864
- Gotzsche PC, Olsen O. Is screening for breast cancer with mammography justifiable? The Lancet. January 8, 2000: 355:129-133.
- Henry J. Kaiser Foundation. State
health facts online. Accessed April 25, 2003.
- Hornung C. Routine mammography: to screen or not to screen? Law and Bioethics Report: University of Louisville School of Medicine. March 2003: 2(3):6.
- Ioannidis JPA, Abrams EJ, Ammann A, et al. Perinatal transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 by pregnant women with RNA virus loads <1000 copies/mL. J Infect Dis. 2001;182:539-545.
- In re Jamaica Hospital (128 Misc 2d 1006).
- Institute of Medicine. Reducing the odds: preventing perinatal transmission of HIV in the United States. Washington DC: National Academy Press; 1999.
- Jefferson v Griffin Spalding Hospital Authority (247 Ga 86).
- Kind C, Rudin C, Siegrisi CA, et al. Prevention of vertical HIV transmission: additive protective effect of elective cesarean section and zidovudine prophylaxis. AIDS. 1998;12:205-210.
- Mackey v Greenview Hosp, Inc 587 SW 2d 249.
- Mahowald MB. Genes, Women, Equality. New York: Oxford University Press; 2000:144.
- Mandelbrot L, Le Chenadec J, Berrebi A, et al. Perinatal HIV-1 transmission: interaction between zidovudine prophylaxis and mode of delivery in the French perinatal cohort. JAMA. 1998;280:55-60.
- March of Dimes. Cocaine use during pregnancy.
- Mcfarlane J, Parker B, Soeken K, Bullock L. Assessing for abuse during pregnancy. Severity and frequency of injuries and associated entry into prenatal care. JAMA. 1992;267:3176-78.
- Minkoff H. Human immunodeficiency virus infection in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2003;101:797-810.
- Payne JF, Haney AF. Serious complications of uterine artery embolization for conservative treatment of fibroids. Fertil Steril. 2003;79:128-131.
- Pron G, Cohen M, Soucie J, Garvin G, Vanderburgh L, Bell S. The Ontario uterine fibroid embolization trial. Part 1. Baseline patient characteristics, fibroid burden, and impact on life. Fertil Steril. 2003;79:112-119.
- Pron G, Bennett J, Common A, Wall J, Asch M, Sniderman K. The Ontario uterine fibroid embolization trial. Part 2. Uterine fibroid reduction and symptom relief after uterine artery embolization for fibroids. Fertil Steril. 2003;79:120-127.
- Quill TE, Brody H. Physician recommendations and patient autonomy: finding a balance between physician power and patient choice. Ann Intern Med. 1996;125:763-68.
- Ross E. Study backs benefits of regular mammograms. Chicago Sun Times. April 25, 2003: 35.
- Raliegh Fitkin-Paul Morgan Memorial v Anderson (42 NJ 421).
- Stallman v Youngquist 125 Ill 2d 267.
- State v McKnight (576 SE 2d 168).
- Stewart EA. Uterine fibroids. The Lancet. 2001;357:293-298.
- Strong C. Ethics in Reproductive and Perinatal Medicine. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press; 1997:138.
- Tabar L, Yen MF, Vitak B, et al. Mammography service screening and mortality in breast cancer patients: 20-year follow-up before and after introduction of screening. The Lancet. 2003;361:1405-10.
- The European Mode of Delievery Collaboration. Elective caesarean-section versus vaginally delivery in prevention of vertical HIV-1 transmission: a randomised clinical trial. TheLancet. 1999;353:1035-39.
- The International Perinatal HIV Group. The mode of delivery and risk of vertical transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1-–meta analysis of 15 perspective cohort studies. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:977-87.
- US Public Health Service Taskforce. Recommendations for use of antiretroviral drugs in pregnant HIV-1-infected women for maternal health and interventions to reduce perinatal HIV-1 transmission in the United States. Available at: http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/Guidelines/GuidelineDetail.aspx?GuidelineID=9. Accessed April 25, 2003
- Uterine artery embolization for symptomatic fibroids: clinical results in 400 women with imaging follow up. BJOG. 2002;109:1262-1272.
- Warnock M. The Uses of Philosophy. Oxford: Basil Blackwell; 1992;82.
- Warren MA. Gendercide: The Implications of Sex Selection. Totowa, NJ: Rowan & Allenheld, 1985.
The viewpoints expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the AMA.
© 2003 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.