Virtual Mentor. June 2003, Volume 5, Number 6.
Suggested Reading and Resources
Resources on Caring for a Culturally Diverse Patient Population
Suggested reading and resources.
- Adler HM. The sociophysiology of caring in the doctor-patient relationship. J Gen Intern Med. 2002;17:877.
- Akil M, Brewer GJ. Psychiatric and behavioral abnormalities in Wilson's disease. Adv Neurol. 1995;65:171-178.
- Baker R. American independence and the right to emergency care. JAMA. 1999;281:859-860.
- Bell RA, et al. Unmet expectations for care and the patient-physician relationship. J Gen Intern Med. 2002;17:817.
- Brewer GJ. Recognition, diagnosis, and management of Wilson's disease. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 2000;223:39-46.
- Brock DW and Wartman SA. When competent patients make irrational choices. NEJM. 322;1990:1595-1599
- California Employment Development Department. Available at: http://www.edd.cahwnet.gov/diindtx.htm.
- Crutcher JE, Bass MJ. The difficult patient and the troubled physician. J Fam Prac. 1980;11:933-938.
- Groves JE. Taking care of the hateful patient. N Eng J Med. 1978;298:883-887.
- Disability Evaluation Under Social Security (also known as The Blue Book). Available at: http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/.
- Greiner KA. Patient-provider relations—understanding the social and cultural circumstances of difficult patients. Bioethics Forum. 2000;16:7.
- Hall JA, et al. Inaccuracies in physicians' perceptions of their patients. Medical Care. 1999;37:1164.
- Jackson GH, Meyer A, Lippmann S. Wilson's disease. Psychiatric manifestations may be the clinical presentation. Postgrad Med. 1994;95:135-138.
- John C, Schwenk TL, Roi LD, Cohen M. Medical care and demographic characteristics of "difficult" patients. J Fam Prac. 1987;24:607-610.
- Lerner BH, Gulick RM, Dubler NN. Rethinking nonadherence: historical perspectives on triple-drug therapy for HIV disease. Ann Intern Med. 1998;129:573-578.
- Lerner BH. From careless consumptives to recalcitrant patients: the historical construction of noncompliance. Soc Sci Med. 1997;45:1423-1431.
- Mackey v Greenview Hospital, Inc. 587 SW 2d 249.
- Malcom R, Foster HK, Smith C. The problem patient as perceived by family physicians. J Fam Prac. 1977;5:361-364.
- Prasad AS, Brewer GJ, Schoomaker EB, Rabbini P. Hypocupremia induced by zinc therapy in adults. JAMA. 1978;240:2166-2168.
- Reis RK, Bokan JA, Katon WJ, Kleinman RA. The medical care abuser: differential diagnosis and management. J Fam Prac.1981;13:257-265.
- Schilsky ML. Wilson disease: genetic basis of copper toxicity and natural history. Semin Liver Dis. 1996;16:83-95.
- Schwenk TL, et al. Physician and patient determinants of difficult physician-patient relationships. J Fam Prac. 1989;28:63.
- Wilson SAK. Progressive lenticular degeneration. A familial nervous disease associated with cirrhosis of the liver. Brain. 1912;34:295-507.
The viewpoints expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the AMA.
© 2003 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.