Virtual Mentor. November 2003, Volume 5, Number 11.
Suggested Reading and Resources
Resources on Public Health Ethics
- Opinion 2.02 Abuse of Spouses, Children, Elderly Persons, and Others at Risk. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:6-9.
- Opinion 2.03 Allocation of LimitedMedical Resources. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:9-13.
- Opinion 2.071 Subject Selection for Clinical Trials. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:35.
- Opinion 2.095 The Provisions of Adequate Health Care. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:44-45.
- Opinion 2.12 Genetic Counseling. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:49-50.
- Opinion 2.23 HIV Testing. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:118-120.
- American Medical Association. Principle IV. Principles of Medical Ethics. Code of Medical Ethics, Current Opinions with Annotations. Chicago: AMA Press; 2002: xiv.
- American Medical Association. Principle VII. Principles of Medical Ethics. Code of Medical Ethics, Current Opinions with Annotations. Chicago: AMA Press; 2002: xiv.
- AMA Diagnostic and Treatment Guidelines for Violence Prevention. Accessed October 28,2003.
- American Medical Association. Continuing Medical Education for Licensure Reregistration. State Medical Licensure Requirements and Statistics, 2003. Accessed October 28, 2003.
- American Medical Association. Diagnostic
and treatment guidelines on domestic violence. Accessed October 27, 2003.
- Angell M. The doctor as double agent. Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal. 1993;3:279-286.
- Association of Public Health Schools. Ethics and public health model curriculum. Accessed November 1, 2003.
- Ayanian JZ, Cleary PD. Perceived risks of heart disease and cancer among cigarette smokers. JAMA.1999;28:1019-1021.
- Baile WF, Lenzi R, Kudelka AP, et al. Improving physician-patient communication in cancer care: outcome of a workshop for oncologists. J Cancer Educ. 1997;12:166-173.
- Bal DG, Lloyd JC, Roeseler A, Shimizu R. California as a model. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19:69S-73S.
- Barbera J, Macintyre A, Gostin L, et al. Large-scale quarantine following biological terrorism in the United States: scientific examination, logistic and legal limits, and possible consequences. JAMA. 2001;286:2711-2717.
- Battaglia, TA, Liebschutz JM. Survivors of intimate partner violence speak out: trust in the patient-provider relationship. J Gen Intern Med. 2003;18:617-623.
- Beauchamp TL, Childress JF. Principles of Biomedical Ethics. 5th ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2001.
- Cameron NM. The New Medicine: The Revolution in Technology and Ethics. London, England: Hodder and Stoughton; 1991.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Influenza: the disease. Accessed October 21, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Intimate partner and sexual violence prevention. Accessed October 21, 2003.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Measles and school immunization requirements—United States. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1978;27:303-4.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Measles—United States. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1977;26:11-109.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Preventing influenza (the flu) and controlling its spread. Accessed October 21, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines for national human immunodeficiency virus case surveillance, including monitoring for human immunodeficiency virus infection and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. December 10,1999;48. Accessed October 28, 2003.
- Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.Childhood lead poisoning. Accessed October 26, 2003.
- Chalk R, King PA, eds, Committee on the Assessment of Family Violence Interventions, National Research Council, Institute of Medicine. Violence in Families: Assessing Prevention and Treatment Programs. Washington DC: National Academies Press; 1998.
- Chen RT. Vaccine risks: real, perceived and unknown. Vaccine. 1999;17:S41-S46.
- Childress J, Faden R, Gaare R, et al. Public health ethics: mapping the terrain. J Law Med Ethics. 2001;30:170-178.
- Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, et al. The seventh report of the joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure. The JNC 7 report. JAMA. 2003;289:2560-2572.
- Coffield AB, Maciosek MV, McGinnis M, et al. Priorities among recommended clinical preventive services. AJPM. 2001;21:1-9.
- Collins FS, Green ED, Guttmacher AE, Guyer MS. A vision for the future of genomics research. Nature. 2003;422: 835-847.
- Collins KS, Schoen C, Joseph S, Duchon L, Simantov E, Yellowitz M for The Commonwealth Fund. Health concerns across a woman's lifespan: The Commonwealth Fund 1998 survey of women's health. May 1998. Accessed October 21, 2003.
- Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs.Report 3-A-03 retainer practice. Recommendations adopted at: Annual Meeting of the American Medical Association; June 2003; Chicago, IL. Accessed November 3, 2003.
- Cummings KM, Bansal M, Hyland A, et al. Smoker misperceptions about the characteristics of different nicotine delivery devices. Abstract presented at: Annual Meeting of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco; 2002; Savannah, GA.
- Curry SJ, Grothaus LC, McAfee T, Pabiniak C. Use and cost effectiveness of smoking-cessation services under four insurance plans in a health maintenance organization. N Engl J Med. 1998;339:673-679.
- Danielson KK, Moffitt TE, Caspi A, Silva PA. Comorbidity between abuse of an adult and DSM-III-R mental disorders: evidence from an epidemiological study. Am J Psychiatry. 1998;155:131-3.
- Deci EL, Ryan RM, eds. Handbook of Self-determination Research. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester Press; 2002.
- Deci EL, Ryan RM. Intrinsic Motivation and Self-Determination in Human Behavior. New York; Plenum Press: 1985.
- DiMarco v Lynch Homes—Chester County, 583 A 2d 422 (Pa 1990).
- Egede LE. Implementing behavioral counseling interventions in primary care to modify cardiovascular disease risk in adults with diabetes. Cardiovascular Reviews & Reports. 2003;24:306-312.
- Eggly S, Afonso N, Rojas G, Baker M, Cardozo L, Robertson S. An assessment of residents' competence in the delivery of bad news to patients. Acad Med. 1997;72:397-399.
- Epstein RM, Frarey L, Beckman HB. Talking about AIDS. AIDS Patient Care STDs. 1999;13:545-553.
- Epstein RM, Morse DS, Frankel RM, Frarey L, Anderson K, Beckman HB. Awkward moments in patient-physician communication about HIV risk. Ann Intern Med. 1998;128:435-442.
- Epstein RM, Morse DS, Williams GC, LeRoux P, Suchman AL, Quill TE. Clinical practice and the biopsychosocial model. In: Quill TE, Frankel RM, McDaniel SH, eds. The Biopsychosocial Model. Rochester, NY; University of Rochester Press. In Press.
- Epstein RM. A biopsychosocial approach to HIV. In: von Uexkull T, Adler R, eds. Psychosomatic Medicine. Munich: Urban & Schwartzenberg; 1997:623-674.
- Epstein RM. Mindful practice. JAMA. 1999;282:833-839.
- Epstein RM. The patient-physician relationship. In: Mengel MB, Holleman WL, Fields SA, eds. Fundamentals of Clinical Practice. 2nd ed. New York; Plenum. In Press.
- Erika Grimes v Kennedy Krieger Institute, 366 Md 29, 782 A 2d 807 (2001). Accessed October 26, 2003.
Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP). JAMA. 2001;285:2486-2497.
- Fallowfield LJ, Lipkin M Jr. Delivering sad or bad news. In: Lipkin M Jr, Putnam SM, Lazare A, eds. The Medical Interview. New York; Springer-Verlag: 1995:316-323.
- Family Violence Prevention Fund. Accessed October 28, 2003.
- Feikin DR, Lezotte DC, Hamman RF, Salmon DA, Chen RT, Hoffman RE. Individual and community risks of measles and pertussis associated with personal exemptions to immunization. JAMA. 2000;284:3145-3150.
- Fiore MC, Bailey WC, Cohen SJ, et al.Treating tobacco use and dependence. Clinical practice guideline. In: Public Health Service. Rockville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services; June 2000.
- Fiore MC, Hatsukami DK, Baker TB. Effective tobacco dependence treatment. JAMA. 2002;288:1768-1771.
- Fox S, Fallows D. Internet health resources. Pew Internet & American Life Project. Accessed October 27, 2003.
- Friedman LS, Samet JH, Roberts MS, Hudlin M, Hans P. Inquiry about victimization experiences: a survey of patient preferences and physician practices. Arch Intern Med. 1992;152:1186-1190.
- Friedman LS, Samet JH, Roberts MS, Hudlin M, Hans P. Inquiry about victimization experiences. A survey of patient preferences and physician practices. Arch Intern Med.1992;152:1186-90.
- GeneTests. Available at: http://www.genetests.org. Accessed October 14, 2003.
- Gerbert B, Caspers N, Bronstone A, Moe J, Abercrombie P. A qualitative analysis of how physicians with expertise in domestic violence approach the identification of victims. Ann Intern Med. 1999;131:578-84.
- Gostin LO. Public Health Law. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press; 2000.
- Harris J, Holm S. Is there a moral obligation not to infect others? BMJ. 1995;311:1215-1217.
- Hopkins DP, Briss PA, Ricard CJ, et al. Reviews of evidence regarding interventions to reduce tobacco use and exposure to environmental tobacco smoke. AJPM. 2001;202:16-52.
- Immunization Action Coalition. Influenza vaccination pocket guide information. September 2003. Accessed October 21, 2003.
- Jackson CL. State laws on compulsory immunizations in the United States. Public Health Rep. 1969;84:787-95.
- Jacobson v Massachusetts, 197 US 11 (1905).
- Kass NE. An ethics framework for public health. Am J Public Health. 2001;91:1776-1782.
- Lewinsky NG. The doctor's master. N Engl J Med. 1984;311:1573-4.
- Liebschutz JM, Frayne SM, Saxe GN, eds. Violence Against Women: A Physician's Guide to Identification and Management. American College of Physicians Press; 2003.
- McCauley J, Kern DE, Kolodner K, et al. The "battering syndrome": prevalence and clinical characteristics of domestic violence in primary care internal medicine practices. Ann Intern Med. 1995;123:737-46.
- McGinnis JM, Foege WH. Actual causes of death in the United States. JAMA. 1993;270:2207-2212.
- McGlynn EA, Asch SM, Adams J, et al. The quality of health care delivered to adults in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:2635-2645.
- Mcnutt LA, Carlson BE, Persaud M, Postmus J. Cumulative abuse experiences, physical health, and health behaviors. Ann Epidemiol. 2002;12:123-30.
- Meyer v Nebraska, 262 US 390 (1923).
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. Available at: http://www.ncadv.org/links.htm. Accessed October 28, 2003.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233) available 24 hours
- National Institute of Justice, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Tjaden P, Thoennes P. Prevalence, incidence, and consequences of violence against women: findings from the national violence against women survey. November 1998. Available at: http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/183781.pdf. Accessed October 21, 2003.
- National Vaccine Advisory Committee. Report of the NVAC Working Group on Philosophical Exemptions. In: Minutes of the National Vaccine Advisory Committee, January 13, 1998. Atlanta, GA: National Vaccine Program Office; 1998:1-5.
- National, state, and urban area vaccination coverage levels among children aged 19-35 months—United States, 1999. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2000:49:585-589.
- Noonan AS. Integrating genomics into US public health. Genetics in Medicine. November/December 2002;4:68S-71S.
- Noonan AS. Key roles of government in genomics and proteomics: a public health perspective. Genetics in Medicine. November/December 2002;4:72S-76S.
- Novack DH, Suchman AL, Clark W, Epstein RM, Najberg E, Kaplan C. Calibrating the physician: personal awareness and effective patient care. JAMA. 1997;278:502-509.
- Omenn GS. The crucial role of the public health sciences in the postgenomic era. Genetics in Medicine. November/December 2002;4 21S-26S.
- PA v Katz, 361 Md 645 (2000).
- People v Jensen, 231 Mich App 439, 586 NW2d 748 (Aug 28, 1998). Accessed October 24, 2003.
- Pierce v Society of Sisters, 268 US 510 (1925).
- Platt FW, Keller VF. Empathic communication: a teachable and learnable skill. J Gen Intern Med. 1994;9:222-226
- Pronk NP, Goodman MJ, O'Connor PJ, Martinson BC. Relationship between modifiable health risks and short-term health care charges. JAMA. 1999;282:2235-2239.
- Quill TE, Townsend P. Bad news: delivery, dialogue, and dilemmas. Arch Intern Med. 1991;151:463-8.
- Reisner v Regents of University of California, 31 Cal App 4th 1195, 37 Cal Rptr 2d 518. Accessed October 24, 2003.
- Rennison CM, Welchans S. Intimate Partner Violence. Washington DC: Bureau of Justice Statistics, US Department of Justice; 2000. Available at: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/ipv.pdf. Accessed October 21, 2003.
- Rodriguez MA, Bauer HM, McLoughlin E, Grumbach K. Screening and instructions for intimate partner abuse: practices and attitudes of primary care physicians. JAMA. 1999;282:468-474.
- Rodriguez MA, Quiroga-Szkupinski S, Bauer H. Breaking the code of silence: battered women's perspectives on medical care. Arch of Fam Med. 1996;5:153-158.
- Ross LF, Aspinwall TJ. Religious exemptions to the immunization statues: balancing public health and religious freedom. J Law Med Eth. 1997;25:202-207.
- Sheldon K, Williams GC, Joiner T. Self-determination Theory in the Clinic: Motivating Physical and Mental Health. New Haven: Yale University Press; 2003.
- Silagy C, Stead LF. Physician advice for smokers. Cochrane Reviews. Cochrane Library. Issue 1; 2003.
- Singer PA, Daar AS. Harnessing genomics and biotechnology to improve global health equity. Science. 2001;294:87-89.
- Solanki G, Schauffler HH. Cost-sharing and the utilization of clinical preventive services. AJPM. 1999;17:127-133.
- Solberg LI, Boyle RG, Davidson G, Magnan SJ, Carlson CL. Patient satisfaction and discussion of smoking cessation during clinical trials. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2001;76:138-143.
- Suchman AL, Markakis K, Beckman HB, Frankel R. A model of empathic communication in the medical interview. JAMA. 1997;277:678-682.
- Sugg NK, Inui T. Primary care physicians' response to domestic violence. Opening Pandora's box. JAMA.1992;267:3157-60.
- Sulmasy DP. Physicians, cost control, and ethics. Ann Intern Med. 1992;116:920-926.
- TD v NY State Office of Mental Health, 228 A 2d 95 (1996).
- The Environmental Protection Agency and Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development. "Evaluation of Efficacy of Residential Lead Based Paint Repair and Maintenance Interventions."
- Thomas JC, Sage M, Dillenberg J, Guillory VJ. A code of ethics for public health. Am J Public Health. 2002;92:1057-9.
- Ubel P, Arnold R. The unbearable rightness of bedside rationing: physician duties in a climate of cost containment. Arch Intern Med. 1995;55:1837-1842.
- United States Department of Health and Human Services Web site. Accessed October 16, 2003.
- Upshur RE. Principles for the justification of public health intervention. Can J Public Health. 2002;93:101-103.
- Whitlock EP, Orleans CT, Pender N, Allan J. Evaluating primary care behavioral counseling interventions: an evidence-based approach. AJPM. 2002;22:267-284.
- Williams GC. Improving patients' health through supporting the autonomy of patients and providers. In: Deci EL, Ryan RM, eds. Handbook of Self-determination Research. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester Press; 2002:233-254.
- Wisconsin v Yoder, 406 US 205 (1972).
- Woolf SH. The need for perspective in evidence-based medicine. JAMA. 1999;282:2358-2365.
- Yaffe B. SARS in Toronto: A Local Public Health Perspective. Presented at: SARS Symposium; September 17, 2003; University of Toronto. Available at: http://www.phs.utoronto.ca/sars2003yaffe%20sars.pdf.
The viewpoints expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the AMA.
© 2003 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.