Virtual Mentor. January 2004, Volume 6, Number 1.
Suggested Reading and Resources
Resources on Physician Activism
- Aftab M, Kolben D, Lurie P, Wolfe SM. Smokescreen: double standards of US tobacco companies in international cigarette labeling. Public Citizen Web site. 1998. Accessed December 8, 2003.
- Aftab M, Kolben D, Lurie P. International cigarette labelling practices. Tob Control. 1999;8:368-72.
- Agrawal J, Rising J. Resident education and patient safety. Am Fam Physician. 2002;66:1569-1575.
- Alexander GC, Sehgal AR. Variation in access to kidney transplantation across dialysis facilities: using process of care measures for quality improvement. Am J Kidney Dis. 2002;40:824-31.
- Alexander GC, Sehgal AR. Why hemodialysis patients fail to complete the transplantation process. Am J Kidney Dis. 2001;37:321-8.
- Opinion 1.02 The Relation of Law and Ethics. American Medical Association. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:1-3.
- American Medical Association. Principle of Medical Ethics. In: Code ofMedical Ethics Current Opinions, 2002-2003 edition. Chicago: AMA Press; 2002:xii. Available at: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2512.html. Accessed December 2, 2003.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 1994.
- Atkins KM, Roberts AE, Cochran N. How medical students can bring about curricular change. Acad Med. 1998;73:1173-6.
- Bagnall J. ERs suffer across Canada; a roundup of events, big and small, that made news this week. The Montreal Gazette. January 8, 2000:B2.
- Childress JF. Civil disobedience, conscientious objection, and evasive noncompliance: a framework for the analysis and assessment of illegal actions in health care. Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 1985;10:63-83.
- Clark CC, Wynia MK. Professional civil disobedience: a duty arising from trust. (manuscript in preparation).
- DeCoster B. Clinical case 3 commentary: physician activism and civil disobedience. Virtual Mentor. January 2003. Accessed January 5, 2003.
- Douville A. The new physician as activist. New Physician. 1968;17:209.
- Fagel B. Medical student externship as an opportunity to expand the base of medical education: the viewpoint of the Student American Medical Association. JAMA. 1970;213:2059-2061.
- Goyal M, Mehta RL, Schneiderman LJ, Sehgal AR. Economic and health consequences of selling a kidney in India. JAMA. 2002;288:1589-93.
- Iacopino V, Frank MW, Bauer HM, et al. A population-based assessment of human rights abuses committed against ethnic Albanian refugees from Kosovo. Am J Public Health. 2001;91:2013-8.
- International Campaign to Ban Landmines. Available at: http://www.icbl.org . Accessed December 30, 2003.
International Conference on Primary Health Care. Declaration of Alma-Ata. WHO Chron. November 1978;32:428-30.
- Keller A, Ford D, Sachs E, et al. From persecution to prison: the detention of asylum seekers. Boston: Physicians for Human Rights; 2003. Accessed December 30, 2003.
- Keller A, Groisser S. Domestic violence. In: Link N, Tanner M, eds. The Bellevue Guide to Out-Patient Medicine. London: British Medical Journal Books; 2001.
- Keller A. Caring and advocating for torture victims. Lancet. 2002;360(suppl):s55-6.
- Kohn LT, Corrigan JM, Donaldson MS, eds; Committee on Quality of Health Care in America, Institute of Medicine. To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington DC: National Academies Press; 2000. Accessed December 2, 2003.
- Landers SH, Sehgal AR. How do physicians lobby their members of Congress? Arch of Intern Med. 2000;160:3248-51.
- Lu HU, Passik SD, Portenoy RK. Management of chronic pain in the patients with substance abuse. In: Aranoff GM, ed. Evaluation and Treatment of Chronic Pain. 3rd ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1998:421-429.
- Macdermid A. Tobacco firms under fire. The Glasgow Herald. January 6, 2000:5.
- McGarvey M, Mullan F, Sharfstein S. A study in medical action—the student health organizations. N Engl J Med. 1968;279:74-80.
- Merchen TD, Champion HC. The AMA-MSS: leading the charge for change. JAMA. 1996;276:1438.
- Miller NS, Gold, MS, Smith DE. Manual of Therapeutics for Addictions. New York: Wiley-Liss, Inc; 1997.
- Miller NS, Greenfeld A. Patient characteristics and risk factors of development of dependence on hydrocodone and oxycodone. Am J Ther. 2003. [In press].
- Monroe N. US tobacco warnings not exported. Austin American Statesman. September 10, 1998:A8.
- Mullan F. A new mood in medical students. Medical Opinion and Review. March 1968.
- Mullan F. The new dynamic. Amer J Dis Child. 1968;116:505.
- Neighbors K, Oraka C, Shih L, Lurie P. Awareness and utilization of the hepatitis B vaccine among young men in the Ann Arbor area who have sex with men. J Am Coll Health. 1999;47:173-8.
- Peabody JW. Measuring the social responsiveness of medical schools: setting the standards. Acad Med. 1999;74:S59-68.
- Physicans for a National Health Program. Accessed December 30, 2003.
- Rawls J. Theory of Justice. Oxford, England: The Clarendon Press; 1972;363.
- Rothman DJ. Medical professionalism--focusing on the real issues. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:1284-6.
- Runciman WB, Merry AF, Tito F. Error, blame, and the law in health care—an antipodean perspective. Ann Intern Med. 2003;138:974-979.
- Saxton J, United States Congress Joint Economic Committee. Liability for medical malpractice: issues and evidence. May 2003. Accessed December 8, 2003.
- Schlesinger M. A loss of faith: the sources of reduced political legitimacy for the American medical profession. Milbank Q. 2002;80:185-235.
- Schuckit MA. Drug And Alcohol Abuse: A Clinical Guide To Diagnosis And Treatment. 5th ed. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers; 2000.
- Sehgal AR, Dor A, Tsai AC. Morbidity and cost implications of inadequate hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis. 2001;37:1223-31.
- Sheth T. Study finds vaccine rates low among local gay men. Michigan Daily. February 10, 1999:3.
- Soros Advocacy Fellowship. Accessed December 30, 2003.
- Starr P. The Social Transformation of American Medicine. New York: Basic Books; 1982.
- Stevens R. American Medicine and the Public Interest. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press; 1971.
- Stover E, Keller A, Coby J, Sopheap S. The medical and social consequences of landmines in Cambodia. JAMA.1994;272:331-36.
- Studdert DM, Brennan T. No-fault compensation for medical injuries: the prospect for error prevention. JAMA. 2001;286:217-223.
- Study shows many local gay men not getting beneficial vaccine. Ann Arbor News. January 28, 1999:D1.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. National household survey on drug abuse. 2001. Accessed December 30, 2003.
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In: Twenty-Five Human Rights Documents. New York, NY: Center For the Study of Human Rights, Columbia University; 1994.
- Tomlinson T. Clinical case 3 commentary: physician activism and civil disobedience. Virtual Mentor. January 2003. Accessed January 5, 2003.
- Tran T, Sengupta S, Lurie P, Goodman R, Wolfe S. Violations of exhibiting rules at the 2002 American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting. Presented at: 26th Annual Society for General Internal Medicine. Vancouver, British Columbia; 2002.
- Tsai AC, Lurie P, Sehgal AR. An outbreak of web sites selling ciprofloxacin following an outbreak of anthrax by mail. Am J Med. 2002;113:424-7.
- Tsai AC, Tamayo-Sarver JH, Cydulka RK, Baker DW. Declining payments for emergency department care, 1996-1998. Ann Emerg Med. 2003;41:299-308.
- Tsai AC. Concern about drug reps. Health Aff (Millwood). 2002;21:296-7.
- Tsai AC. Conflicts between commercial and scientific interests in pharmaceutical advertising for medical journals. Int J Health Serv. 2003;33:751-68.
- Tsai AC. Free software and physician profiling. JAMA. 2002; 287:45.
- Tsai AC. Policies to regulate gifts to physicians from industry. JAMA. 2003;290:1776.
- US tobacco firms mislead foreigners, Nader allies say. Richmond Times-Dispatch. September 10, 1998.
- Vlahov D, Des Jarlais DC, Goosby E, et al. Needle exchange programs for the prevention of human immunodeficiency virus infection: epidemiology and policy. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2001;154(suppl 12):S70-S77.
- Weisskopf M, Priest D. AMA steps back from major part of Clinton health care plan. Washington Post. December 8, 1993:A3.
- White C. Canada plans stronger health warnings on cigarette packs. BMJ. 2000;320:140.
- White KL. Health care research: old wine in new bottles. Pharos. 1993;56:12-6.
- Whitney SN, Brown BW Jr, Brody H, Alcser KH, Bachman JG, Greely HT. Views of United States physicians and members of the American Medical Association House of Delegates on physician-assisted suicide. J Gen Intern Med. 2001;16:290-296.
- Wynia MK, Latham SR, Kao AC, Berg JW, Emanuel LL. Medical professionalism in society. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:1612-1616.
The viewpoints expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the AMA.
© 2004 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.